Contact Us

Use the form on the right to contact us.

You can edit the text in this area, and change where the contact form on the right submits to, by entering edit mode using the modes on the bottom right. 

2109 Sumner Avenue
Aberdeen, WA

(360) 532-8631

Directory of services & programs

Veterans' resources

Brianne Probasco

Home > Health & wellness > Veterans' resources

veterans resources

The Revised Code of Washington (RCW 73.08) requires all 39 counties to establish a Veterans' Relief Fund.

The Veterans' Relief Fund may be able to help with rent, utilities, food, and a number of other needs the veteran or qualifying family member may have.

This is a fund of last resort and in no way can it be construed as a veteran's benefit. 

All applications must be filed with local service officers at veteran support organizations.  Please contact your local service officer to discuss making an application.  To apply for assistance from Grays Harbor County Veterans' Relief Fund, you must have been honorably discharged, have been a resident of Grays Harbor County for at least 6 months, and have income below 150% of the Federal Poverty Level.

When contacting service officers, it may be helpful to bring:

  • a copy of your DD-214
  • proof of residency
  • proof of income
  • any shut-off or eviction notices requiring payment

Service officer contact information

Amvets Post 1926

(360) 249-8090

Veterans of Foreign Wars Henry L. Robb Post 1135

407 7th Street
Hoquiam, WA 98550
(360) 532-0510
Monday, Wednesday, Friday, 10am-1pm
Call before arriving so that the service officer can tell you what paperwork to bring with you.

Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 2455

315 S Main Street
Montesano, WA 98563
(360) 249-3631

Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 5564

158 N Summit Road
McCleary, WA 98557

Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 8956

953 Trent Ct SE
Ocean Shores, WA 98569
(360) 591-7595
Wednesday, 10am-2pm
The service officer helps people by phone during the week when not at the post.  They will make appointments during the week for emergencies.

Vietnam Veterans of America (VVA) Chapter #512

201 Canal Street
Ocean Shores, WA 98563
(206) 713-3477
Monday-Friday, 9am-4pm

If you are denied assistance or feel that you have been discriminated against, you have the right to file an appeal and request that a full explanation of the reasons why you were denied assistance be put in writing.

Youth suicide prevention

Brianne Probasco

Home > Health & wellness > Youth suicide prevention

Our community is concerned about youth suicide. 

If you think someone is at risk of suicide, ask for help.  If someone is harming him/herself right now, call 911.

Warning signs that a youth (up to age 24) is at risk of suicide include:

  1. Talking about or making plans for suicide
  2. Expressing hopelessness about the future
  3. Displaying severe/overwhelming emotional pain or distress
  4. Showing worrisome behavior, particularly in the presence of the warning signs above.  Specifically, this includes significant:
  • withdrawal from or change in social connections or situations
  • changes in sleep (increased or decreased)
  • anger or hostility that seems out of character or out of context
  • recent increased agitation or irritability

(These warning signs apply to youth; warning signs that an adult (age 25+) is at risk are here.)

Show, Ask, Get help (SAG)

  • Show you care.  Take any threat or talk about suicide seriously.  Start by telling the person you are concerned.
    • I am worried about you because _____________.  I want to help.
  • Ask the question.  Don't be afraid to ask if he or she is thinking about suicide or has a plan or method in mind.
    • Are you thinking about suicide?
  • Get help.  Resist the temptation to "argue them out it."  Instead, seek professional help and do not leave them alone.
    • You are not alone.  Let me help you find help.


Tips for parents for talking with their children about the Netflix series "13 Reasons Why" and suicide (.pdf)

Tips for parents for talking with their children about the Netflix series "13 Reasons Why" and suicide (.pdf)

Warning signs of suicide (.pdf)

Warning signs of suicide (.pdf)

How to support youth after a suicide (.pdf)

How to support youth after a suicide (.pdf)

Washington State Suicide Prevention Plan (.pdf)

Washington State Suicide Prevention Plan (.pdf)

Self-Injury Surveillance Report, Grays Harbor County (.pdf)

Self-Injury Surveillance Report, Grays Harbor County (.pdf)

Washington State's Plan for Youth Suicide Prevention (.pdf)

Washington State's Plan for Youth Suicide Prevention (.pdf)

Recommendations for reporting on suicide (.pdf)

Recommendations for reporting on suicide (.pdf)

Overdose prevention project

Brianne Probasco

What is naloxone?

Naloxone is a medication that can reverse an opioid overdose by temporarily blocking the effects of opioids. It has been used for decades by emergency medical providers but has recently been made available for layperson use across the country as the number of opioid overdose deaths has risen. In Washington state, it is legal for anyone to obtain, possess, and administer naloxone in an opioid overdose.

  • We currently provide overdose response training and distribute naloxone through our syringe exchange program.
  • If you or your agency would like to have an opioid overdose response training and obtain a naloxone kit, please contact Dan Homchick at

Good Samaritan Law

In Washington state, anyone trying to help in a medical emergency is generally protected from civil liabilities by RCW 4.24.300. Washington state's 911 Good Samaritan Overdose Law RCW 69.50.315 gives additional, specific protections against drug possession charges:

  • If you seek medical assistance in a drug-related overdose, you cannot be prosecuted for drug possession.
  • The overdose victim is also protected from drug possession charges.
  • Anyone in Washington state who might have or witness an opioid overdose is allowed to carry and administer naloxone (RCW 69.41.095)

For more information:

Syringe exchange

Brianne Probasco

Home > Health & wellness > Syringe exchange

Syringe exchange is a public health program for people who use drugs by injection.

Syringe exchange provides new, sterile syringes and clean injection equipment in exchange for used, contaminated syringes.  This reduces the spread of HIV and other blood-borne infections among people who inject drugs, their families, and communities.

Syringe exchange services include:

The Grays Harbor County Public Health and Social Services Department offers syringe exchange services every Wednesday from 11:30am-3:30pm.  These services are provided at an off-site location.  For location information, contact Dan Homchick at (360) 500-4066.  We do not exchange syringes at our clinic.

Other Information


Hepatitis C

Disabled adults

Brianne Probasco



The Grays Harbor County Public Health and Social Services Department is soliciting Requests for Qualifications from licensed agencies providing Supportive Employment, Community Inclusion, and Information, Education and Referral Services.


The purpose of the solicitation is to ensure a network of qualified service providers are available to provide locally based Supportive Employment, Community Inclusion, and Information, Education, and Referral Services to adults with developmental disabilities and their families.

Application and related materials must be received no later than Wednesday, May 10, 2017 by 12pm to be considered. Applications must be clearly marked as DEVELOPMENTAL DISABILITIES SERVICES APPLICATION.

To receive/return an application, click the links below, or visit our office at: 

Grays Harbor County Public Health and Social Services Department
2109 Sumner Avenue
Aberdeen, WA98520

For questions or more information contact Dee Dee Garman at (360) 500-4070 or 

Grays Harbor County Public Health and Social Service reserves the right to reject all requests and re-advertise for additional requests for qualifications.

Application materials

Solicitation for qualified Information, Education, and Referral Services Providers (.pdf)

Solicitation for qualified Supported Employment and/or Community Inclusion Services Providers (.pdf)

Application cover sheet (.docx)

Attachment A - Organizational profile (.docx)

Attachment B - Data security (.docx)

Attachment C - Fiscal management system (.docx)

Attachment D - Certification - Debarment or exclusion (.docx)

Attachment E - Statement of assurances (.docx)

Attachment F - Qualifications for employment/community inclusion services providers (.docx)

Attachment G - Qualifications for information, education, and referral services providers (.docx)

Housing & homelessness

Brianne Probasco

Home > Health & wellness > Housing & homelessness

We believe that all Grays Harbor County residents should have decent, affordable housing.

Grays Harbor County is reviewing applications from eligible entities for Homeless Housing and Department of Commerce Consolidated Homeless Grant funds.

Click below for more information.

Housing Stakeholder Coalition

A Housing Stakeholder Coalition has been formed as a platform for education and participation in implementation of strategies outlined in the 10-year Plan to End Homelessness (see below for more information about the plan).

It is an inclusive group of community stakeholders who have an interest or connection to housing programs and services in Grays Harbor.  This group provides recommendations to the Housing Executive Committee and helps guide and implement the 10-year Plan's Work Plan.

The coalition will meet quarterly (January, April, July, and October) and participants may choose to engage with specific workgroups who may meet more regularly.


For more information or to join the Housing Stakeholder Coalition contact Cassie Lentz, Housing Resource Coordinator, at (360) 500-4049 or

The 10-year Plan to End Homelessness was approved in February 2016.

This plan is the product of a comprehensive process to understand the housing needs of Grays Harbor.

A dedicated committee of local housing providers gathered and analyzed data, identified areas of strength and weakness, learned what other communities like ours are doing to end homelessness, and recommended funding priorities for the next 10 years to our county commissioners.

Along the way, we gathered input from:

  • individuals experiencing homelessness
  • local housing providers, including landlords and local governments
  • law enforcement
  • churches and faith communities
  • schools
  • behavioral health and social service providers

This work is directed by the Homeless Housing and Assistance Act of 2005 and is funded by document recording fees.

The Homeless Housing and Assistance Act outlines requirements for both county governments and the State to address homelessness.  The Act requires county governments to develop local plans to end homeless and to update the plan every 5 years.

2005 10-year Plan to End Homelessness

2010 Update

For more information, contact Cassie Lentz at

Medical Reserve Corps

Brianne Probasco

Home > Health & wellness > Medical Reserve Corps

The Grays Harbor Medical Reserve Corps (MRC) is a group of medical and non-medical volunteers willing to donate their skills and expertise to prepare for and respond to emergencies in our community.  The Grays Harbor MRC was created in 2006 through a partnership with Grays Harbor Emergency Management, Grays Harbor County Public Health, and other local members of the healthcare community.

Major local emergencies can overwhelm first responders very quickly.  In the event of a large-scale emergency, immediate accessibility to pre-identified health care professional volunteers expedites the delivery of treatment to victims and ensures a coordinated response to a crisis.

  • Grays Harbor County has 72,000 residents and has the most nationally declared disasters in the state of Washington.
  • The MRC uses an organized team approach so that each member knows their role in the emergency response plan.
  • Members help prepare people to take care of themselves, their families, and others during times of need.
  • MRC provides supplemental aid in emergency response allowing first responders to focus on the most threatening situations.
  • Throughout the 2008 H1N1 flu pandemic response, MRC members helped provide 12,000 doses of vaccine in Grays Harbor County.
  • In September 2014, the MRC was activated to assist in Hoquiam's Emerson Manor fire.  Members provided direct medical care and supervision to displaced tenants.

There are two types of MRC volunteers: medical and non-medical.


  • Dispensing antibiotics
  • Injecting vaccines
  • Reviewing health histories
  • Patient care
  • Triage
  • Outreach and education


  • Interpretation
  • Staffing a call center to provide information
  • Setting up equipment
  • Greeting and directing people
  • Volunteer recruitment
  • HAM radio operation

To learn more, visit or contact Dan Homchick at (360) 500-4066.

Access to Baby and Child Dentistry (ABCD)

Brianne Probasco

Home > Health & wellness > Access to Baby and Child Dentistry (ABCD)

Every child deserves healthy teeth.

The Access to Baby and Child Dentistry program - ABCD - puts young children on a lifelong path to good oral health.  ABCD connects low-income families with dentists who know how to care for young kids, preventing tooth decay early and educating parents about how to take good care of their children's teeth.

First tooth!

First birthday!

photo coming soon.png

First dental visit!


What does ABCD do?

  • Helps you find a dentist
  • Keeps baby teeth healthy
  • Easy exams


ABCD dentists provide quality care and treatment to eligible children and receive enhanced fees through Medicaid for providing certain preventative and restorative procedures.

Become an ABCD provider

  • Attend a training - it can be arranged in your own office
  • The University of Washington, the Health Care Authority, and the local ABCD office will issue you a certification


Help us spread the word about the importance of good oral health in early childhood.  Refer any Apple Health (Medicaid) families with young children to us to get enrolled.

Refer children to ABCD

  • Hand out our program information
  • Submit a referral form and we will contact your client

Grays Harbor County Department of Emergency Management

Brianne Probasco

Home > Health & wellness > Grays Harbor County Department of Emergency Management

Grays Harbor County Department of Emergency Management actively prepares for and participates in the following functions:

  • Disaster planning
  • Disaster and emergency response planning
  • Disaster and emergency recovery planning
  • Emergency Operations Center (EOC)
  • Emergency preparedness exercises for disaster and emergency response
  • Hazardous materials response planning
  • Public education and outreach
  • Responder training
  • StormReady
  • TsunamiReady

Grays Harbor Family Support Program | Parents as Teachers

Brianne Probasco

Home > Health & wellness > Grays Harbor Family Support Program | Parents as Teachers

Grays Harbor Family Support Program is a free program that helps improve the health and well-being of the people of Grays Harbor County by helping children grow and develop to reach their full potential.

The program matches parents with a trained Parent Educator (PE) who comes to wherever you live or a convenient location like your local library or park.  Your PE is a friendly, experienced person who can answer questions about your pregnancy or being a parent and can help you find services that help you care for yourself and your children.

Epi News

Brianne Probasco

Home > Health & wellness > Epi news

Epi News is faxed to healthcare offices during events of public health significance.

Sign up for Epi News by emailing Lisa Leitz at

Great Beginnings

Brianne Probasco

Home > Health & wellness > Great Beginnings

Great Beginnings for Grays Harbor is a new initiative that builds systemic support to increase opportunities for our youngest community members.

Two key opportunities will be addressed:

  1. Strengthen the existing Grays Harbor Early Learning Coalition to connect and leverage current successful early learning efforts for collective impact.

  2. Work toward the goal of universal, affordable preschool for all children in Grays Harbor County.

Great Beginnings is led by a Steering Committee including representatives from:

Starting Strong: Supporting early learning in Grays Harbor County, September 2015

This report presents demographic information about children and families in Grays Harbor County and a summary of early learning services currently available in our community.  The report also examines challenges and opportunities for expanding early learning services.

In Grays Harbor County there are about 8900 children between 0 and 5.  Widespread scientific research shows that 90% of the brain capacity of each child will develop in those early years.  Children who are actively supported as they play, explore and learn will benefit for life.  Those whose developmental needs are not met most often fall short of their potential.

Support for our youngest children is complex, including the day-to-day efforts of families, various kinds of formal and informal childcare providers, preschool educators, health care, developmental screening, enrichment partners such as libraries, social services and much more.  No one program can address every challenge. To meet our children’s needs the efforts of many stakeholders must be integrated and work together to achieve shared outcomes, giving all Grays Harbor children a Great Beginning.

My TOWN Coalition

Brianne Probasco

Home > Health & wellness > My TOWN Coalition

The My TOWN Coalition is working to build a safer and healthier community by providing leadership, promoting prevention, and building partnerships that mobilize youth, families, and neighborhoods to reduce substance abuse and other destructive behaviors.

Grays Harbor County Public Health & Social Services Department staff serve as the My TOWN Coalition Coordinator.


Brianne Probasco

What is WIC?

WIC (Women, Infants and Children) provides nutrition and health information and free nutritious foods to eligible...

  • Pregnant women.
  • Breastfeeding women.
  • New mothers.
  • Infants.
  • Children up to the age of 5.
  • What can WIC provide?

  • Monthly checks to buy nutritious foods.
  • Information on nutrition for you and your children.
  • Health care services provided by the WIC program.
  • Help in getting other services you may need.

WIC Nutrition Program doesn’t discriminate.

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

Mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture

Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights

1400 Independence Avenue, SW

Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;


Fax: (202) 690-7442

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

Washington State WIC Nutrition Program doesn’t discriminate.


Brianne Probasco

Home > Health & wellness > Vaccines

Vaccines are a type of medicine that prevent a person from getting sick.

Some vaccines are given by poking a needle into the skin (these type of vaccines are called "shots"), some vaccines are sprayed into the nose (like some types of flu vaccines), and some vaccines are eaten (like the polio vaccine).

Vaccines are a safe and effective way to keep you, your family, and your community healthy.

Vaccines recommended for children age 0-6

Vaccines recommended for preteens and teens age 7-18

Vaccines recommended for adults

Vaccine Clinic

The Grays Harbor County Public Health and Social Services Department's clinic gives some vaccines to adults, but not to children.  We would be happy to help you find a health care provider that gives vaccines to children.

Call (360) 532-8631 to make an appointment or to get more information.

Vaccine Records

The Washington State Department of Health provides parents and guardians access to their family members' immunization records at Go to or call (866) 397-0337 to begin the registration process.

Childhood Vaccine Program

The Washington State Childhood Vaccine Program provides vaccine to all kids less than 19 years of age in Washington. The program uses a combination of federal and state funds to purchase vaccines and distributes them to health care providers.  If you are a health care provider interested in participating in this program, email the Washington State Department of Health at

Brought to you by Nursing@Simmons: FNP Program

Children with Special Health Care Needs

Brianne Probasco

Home > Health & wellness > Children with Special Health Care Needs

The program offers assistance to children who are:

  • Under 18 years of age, and

  • Have a condition which may prevent them from growing, developing, or playing like other children, or

  • Have a condition that places them at risk for being disabled.

The program can help families with:

  • Information on childhood issues like eating and nutrition, growth and development, and behavior.

  • Information about your child's medical condition.

  • Identifying programs that might assist your child.

  • Locating and securing financial assistance that you may be eligible for.

  • Scheduling appointments and arranging transportation.

For more information about the Children with Special Health Care Needs program, visit the Washington State Department of Health's Children with Special Health Care Needs web page.

Breast, Cervical, & Colon Health Program

Brianne Probasco

Home > Health & wellness > Breast, Cervical, & Colon Health Program

The Grays Harbor County Public Health and Social Services Department's clinic is a participating provider in the Washington State Breast, Cervical, and Colon Health program.  This program will pay for exams, Pap screening and mammograms for eligible men and women.

To be eligible, you must:

  • be aged 40-64,
  • meet certain income criteria, and
  • have no health insurance coverage for health screening services or have a high deductible for follow-up cancer testing.

Communicable disease reporting

Brianne Probasco

Home > Health & wellness > Communicable disease reporting

The Grays Harbor County Public Health and Social Services Department protects the community by controlling and preventing the spread of infectious diseases in Grays Harbor County.  We do this by:

  • Receiving reports from health care providers about cases of notifiable communicable diseases as required by law.
  • Investigating cases and providing education to people with communicable diseases and their contacts.
  • Reducing the spread of disease by providing and promoting vaccines.
  • Providing updated information to area health care providers about local, national and global issues of public health concern.
  • Educating the community about diseases of concern.
  • Identifying potential sources of disease transmission.
  • Using appropriate public health methods to stop the spread of disease.

Report notifiable conditions to:

Communicable Disease Program
Grays Harbor County Public Health and Social Services Dept.
2109 Sumner Avenue
Aberdeen, WA 98520
Phone:  (360) 532-8631
After-hours phone:  (360) 581-1401
Fax:  (360) 533-6272